Re: [LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 13:44:41 EET

Hi,

On Monday 23 March 2009 11:50:55 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I often heard that it's considered bad when clients automatically auto
> connect it's outputs to jack. I agree, mostly since:
> 1) This makes routing through other software before output difficult
> 2) The patchbay in qjackctl makes it easy to make auto connects anyways
> But could anyone point me to some explanation from the devs (Paul Davis
> for instance) of why this is considered bad?

Other reasons from the users pov:
Some people use their soundcard not as stereo out but as 6 channel out where
(for example) the channels are Low-right,Mid-right,High-right,Low-left,Mid-
left,High-left and the frequencies are split in a separate program. Any app
autoconnecting to the outputs directly would send frequencies to the speakers
that shouldn't go there and risk ruining them.
Some people might use a jack-app as monitoring-matrix and volume control. Any
app autoconnecting breaks that setup, altough not necessarily with the same
bad results as above.

I don't think there are actual developers reasons against autoconnect apart
from "for some users in some scenarios it has bad results".
Actually autoconnecting isn't bad per se. An app that is _always_
autoconnecting and has no way of changing that behaviour is bad...

Have fun,

Arnold