Re: [LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 18:12:51 EET

> The only time an app should autoconnect is when it's part of a saved instance.

So that is one for for 'never' and my vote for 'always, unless otherwise instructed'.

The reason this is 'never' vote is that the app probably doesn't have an indication of to what it was connected in the jackd hence it cannot save that information as a part of it's instance. That kind of implies that all these connections are set up elsewhere or have been lash'ed together in which case having an override for any autoconnect probably would have been known by the user who built the instance. I still think that if a user has got to the point where they understand building sessions or using LASH then they can probably understand how to override defaults. For those who haven't yet reached that point why should there not be another reasonable default allowing them to get started?

Regards, Nick.