Re: [LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 20:50:44 EET

Atte Andr? Jensen:

> Hi
>
> I often heard that it's considered bad when clients automatically auto
> connect it's outputs to jack. I agree, mostly since:
>
> 1) This makes routing through other software before output difficult
> 2) The patchbay in qjackctl makes it easy to make auto connects anyways
>
> But could anyone point me to some explanation from the devs (Paul Davis
> for instance) of why this is considered bad?

This is a design fault in jack. Jack should
by default always autoconnect new ports to physical in/outs
when they are created. (first created port is connected
to the first physical port, and so on)

In addition, a jackd command line option to turn
autoconnect off is required
for those who (for good reasons) don't want that behaviour, or
those who want to autonnect to a different client than
the client handling the physical in/outs. And there
should also be an option which turns autoconnect
off for specific ports (i.e. an extra argument for jack_create_port).

I think this would have pleased everyone.