Re: [LAU] jdelay - measured latency of a usb interface

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 14:03:25 EET

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 12:32:15 Frank Barknecht wrote:
> hollunder@email-addr-hidden hat gesagt: // hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > 4)
> > Should these results be similar with any usb interface?
> > What does have most influence on such results?
> As far as I know all USB soundcards have the same latency. It's bounded by
> the USB bus.

I _seriously_ doubt that all usb devices have the same latency. Indeed they do
alls have the same latency introduced from the usb-protocol added to their
specific latency, but that specific latency still depends on the actual hardware
and the driver. And yes, there are different usb-audio drivers in the linux
kernel, just search for *usx2y* for example. And the hardware latency is
determined by the converters and the processing chip, just like with any other
sound device, be it pci, pcmcia or firewire based...

Have fun and excuse my nitpicking,

Arnold