Re: [LAU] jdelay - measured latency of a usb interface

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 22:48:14 EET

Hallo,
torbenh@email-addr-hidden hat gesagt: // torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> > "Due to how the USB protocol works, all USB audio devices have the same
> > latency."
> > http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/06/0200.html
>
> that statement is 4 years old.
> i doubt it holds. because the statement that USB cards require -n3
> doesnt really hold anymore. so a lot of stuff changed.

The USB protocol with its isochronous data transfer hasn't changed, and that is
in my understanding what is making all devices behave the same latencywise.
Enhancements in the general latency capabilities of the kernel or in ALSA of
course have happened, but all devices get the same benefit.

Ciao

--
Frank