Re: [LAU] use your pc as an music player (and safe energy)

From: Roger <gurusonic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 22:20:47 EEST

Justin Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Grammostola Rosea
> <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Justin Smith wrote:

>>> One possibility is using applications that use less CPU, the harder
>>> your CPU works, the more energy it turns in to waste heat. For this,
>>> avoid things written in dynamic languages, and in general try to use
>>> the smallest and most efficient program for a given task (you could
>>> look at applications recommended for older/slower computers like
>>> blackbox / evilwm / rox-filer / xfce / lxde / etc. and using a command
>>> line application whenever possible rather than a full GUI will save a
>>> large amount of CPU / disk usage as well.
>>>

>> Is there a command line multimedia music player?
>>
>> \r

> If by multimedia you mean audio + video I am not sure, there is
> mplayer but it does not do playlists as far as I know, for command
> line audio players there are quite a few, including xmms2 which is a
> demon that can be controlled from the command line and juke, which is
> an audio player with a curses frontend.

Not CLI but AlsaPlayer is very light and good.
I noticed a drop in my power bill after getting an Antec Neo 500 power
supply, and Core2Duo is much more efficient than my old Athlon 2000. If
I'm not doing anything else with main PC I'll often play music on EeePC
from a 250Mb USB drive which is rsynced regularly from my main PC. Only
about 30W all up, about quarter of the main PC.