Re: [LAU] use your pc as an music player (and safe energy)

From: frank pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 03:25:20 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Dan S wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Then this is a disadvantage compared to using a gui. But isn't it
>>> possible to solve this?
>>>

>> Look it's easy, just press ">" 12 times...
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Sorry I meant 112

If you're not kidding, I actually have an answer for you:

 mplayer `grep 112 playlist | cut -d" " -f2`

where your playlist file is numbered with a space between the number and
the file names, and where there are no spaces in the file names. Note
those are back-ticks causing the entire expression they enclose to be
executed before the result is passed to the mplayer executable.

I assume you understand those utilities but if not, grep 112 playlist
looks for a match to that file you wanted to play, and cut -d" " -f2
selects just the file name found in field 2 of the line cut at the space
character.

Now, before you complain that that's a self-defeating amount of typing,
just return to that command in your shell's history and simply change
the number to play my preference, for example - track 111.

If you are kidding, you should be ashamed of yourself... P - )

Frank