Re: [LAU] Running Status v.s "Ordinary" Status and MIDI merging

From: Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 18:52:35 EEST

Crypto wrote:
> I am also not sure if I got the USB MIDI part correctly: what I have is an
> external USB device that offers two IN/OUT ports having standard 5 pin DIN
> connectors each to connect to other standard MIDI devices. So this device is
> not transferring USB MIDI data - it is imho simply converting ordinary MIDI
> data into USB data without further manipulation,

That "USB data" *is* USB MIDI data; the USB device has to convert from
the MIDI encoding to the USB MIDI encoding.

> then inside the notebook ALSA applications see the UM2 connectors as a
> standard MIDI hardware port each.

Yes, because the driver converts the data back.

> So the hardware ports that I see denoted as UM2 have got to be ALSA sequencer
> ports.

Yes. Actually, there are also raw MIDI ports for OSS applications.

Does KeyKit have ports that are listed by "aplaymidi -l" (ALSA sequencer
ports), or does it want to read from devices named /dev/midi* (OSS ports)?

Best regards,
Clemens