Re: [LAU] Mastering question (not software, but technique)

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 07:25:44 EEST

On Saturday 04 April 2009 4:07:11 pm Julien Claassen wrote:
> I choose the band freuqencies (as a starting point)
> around the dominanat note of my piece. So if it's in A major/minor I might
> choose 55Hz, 220Hz, 440Hz and 3520Hz. Assume we have a simple piece in one
> key only and we don't do too much weird. Good assumption? Or should I start
> out by listening for the main frequencies of instruments with harsh and
> loud attacks (like drums, strongly plucked instruments...)?

The key the music is in has little bearing on how you should approach EQ.
You're going to have frequencies spanning the entire frequency spectrum
regardless of what key the music is in. You should first determine what type of
sound you are trying to achieve and then use the EQ to correct or enhance to
achieve the desired effect.

> Doing compression on filtered bands: I again go for bass, mid (rhtym
> instrument and perhaps main voice) and high (lead sounds and all the
> overtones). Again I choose based on the key of the piece. Good choice?
> About compression: I usually have high compression ratio on the bass (as a
> starting point), mid ratio on the mid range and a high ratio again on the
> overtones. Good starting decision (assuming a basic pop/rock setup: bass,
> drums, rhythm instrument, voice and lead)? Or should I go for the peaky
> instruments?

There are no formulas, and no one can give an opinion without hearing the
music before and after compression. Again, it's all about what you want it to
sound like. You need to be able to listen to the original piece, and be able
to say, ok here's where we are, but this is where I want to go with it. And
then make changes accordingly.

> If you have no GUI setup, how would you find frequencies of
> the peaky sounds VERY fast?

Train your ear. (Takes lots of practice) If you can't determine the frequency
very well by ear, take a single pole filter with a tight Q, and sweep the
frequency range during playback. You'll know when you hit the frequency you're
looking for. ;)

> When to filter: as early as possible or as
> late as possible? I'd guess: better later.

If you can't hear it, it doesn't matter. Don't risk compromising the audio by
applying filters you don't need. (I doubt you have any mics that can pick up
anything in those frequency ranges anyway)

> Does it make much difference if
> you record in 48kHz or 96kHz if you finally get down to 44.1kHz output for
> the public? I mean realistically, not just in theory viewed on some
> analyzer.

Yes. Higher sampling rates matter when doing digital processing in the
frequency domain. Higher bit rates help with dynamics processing.

-Reuben