Re: [LAU] how record electric guitar?

From: Cassiel <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 11:18:12 EEST

2009/4/7 Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>

> Cassiel wrote:
> >
> > 2009/4/7 Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden
> > <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>>
> >
> > Cassiel wrote:
> > >

> > > 2009/4/7 Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden
> > <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
> > > <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden
> > <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>>>
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to record electric guitar chord progression. I've an:
> > >
> > > - epiphone les paul
> > > - little amp, orange 30r
> > > - maudio dmp 3 preamp
> > > - shure 58a beta
> > > - mic stand
> > >

> > > What do you prefer, preamp of mic in front of amp?
> > >

> > > I would not use a preamp, unless it's a tube preamp or you don't
> > have
> > > a mixing console
> > I have only an preamp maudio dmp 3. It also has two knobs/ functions
> > e.g, Hi/lo gain range and Low cut 75 Hz, dunno if I should use
> > those...
> >

> > According to your style and preferences in using the handle or bridge
> > pickup (I don't like middle position) I would use EQ instead of low
> > cut, just be careful with your amp eq and keep away rumbles.
> >
> How do you set your guitar? E.g. there are I think two knobs per
> humbucker on my Les Paul, one for loudness and one for tone or reverb?
> Turn the second on or off?

Surely your knobs are volume and tone, not volume and reverb (nobody who
plays guitar would buy a guitar with such controls... brr, a reverb knob :-)
) but apart from this there's not a general rule in guitar settings but your
ears.
I play an american standard strat, other picks -> other sound (totally
different) and I use a tube amp (40w fender hot rod deluxe)... don't know if
your orange is a transistor amp or a tube one and this is very relevant too.

If you find yourself playing with massive basses and low trebles and feeling
satisfied with this sound... well, that's ok

The one and only general rule I can suggest is: when your amp sounds your
recording will too... with 0.05% confidence level (apologize, I am
statistician :-) )

ra