Re: [LAU] The courses that the students take during their Music Technology Education

From: Arda Eden <ardaeden@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 20:05:49 EEST

Here in Turkey at the universities there are engineering faculties where
departments like electronic or computer engineering are founded. The only
sound engineering school is SAE and it's yet opened in Istanbul.

All music departments like conservatories, musicology and music education
are taken under social sciences, so music technology is misunderstood and
also settled under social sciences (everybody sticks on the "music" word,
not the "technology"). But it seems like music technology is related mostly
to math, electronics and physics.

Think about the situation that the students are in. They get upside down.

One reason that I created this thread is just to understand the formation
outside Turkey.

All the feedback I've taken is so valuable and I'm planning to make
presentations at several music departments by the help of the results I've
got here.

Unfortunately, It's a habit of Turkish people to copy, not to create it
first (that's my idea relatively, as a Turk). So the professors (or anyone
who has rights to say in the matter) just want to see the evidence from
Europe or somewhere else.

Thanks for the contribution.

Arda.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name> wrote:

> nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > There are programs called Music Technology, that in fact educate
> > sound engineers, for either live sound engineering or studio sound
> > engineering.
>
> Extremely few of these schools actually produce any accredited
> engineers, though.
>
> I've only found one school in Miami in the entire world that educates
> sound engineers, recognized by any formal engineering body.
>
> On the other hand, acoustical engineering studies are mostly recognized.
>
> 99% of the worlds' sound engineers does not have any formal
> engineering background.
>
> --
> Esben Stien is b0ef@email-addr-hidden s a
> http://www. s t n m