Re: [LAU] Normalizing Audio Levels using RMS

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 11:19:39 EEST

Quoting Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM, ben <brouits@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Viktor Mastoridis a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi Linux Audio Geeks
>>>
>>> In my musical prehistory, while I was on Windows, I used to use a
>>> program called SoundForge that had one very useful feature: normalizing
>>> audio levels with RMS, even using the Equal Loudness Contour
>>>
>> - normalize, a simple batch with CLI [nomralize-audio, in debian]
>>  http://normalize.nongnu.org/
>
> AFAIK, neither of these programs normalize using RMS

 From what I can see in the README
(http://normalize.nongnu.org/README.html) normalize uses RMS, or at
least an implementation of it:

"The volumes calculated are RMS amplitudes, which correspond (roughly)
to perceived volume. Taking the RMS amplitude of an entire file would
not give us quite the measure we want, though, because a quiet song
punctuated by short loud parts would average out to a quiet song, and
the adjustment we would compute would make the loud parts excessively
loud."