[LAU] strange webcam audio bug, continued

From: David Hugh-Jones <davidhughjones@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 18 2009 - 14:11:38 EEST

Hello (again)

About 3 months ago I wrote about my webcam sound recording at the
wrong speed. I've finally made a bit of progress understanding the bug
and can now reliably reproduce it. What is strange is that accessing
the webcam video makes the problem vanish. That is:

1) Plug in my webcam (a creative Live! Cam, usb id 041e:4068)
2) Record something using e.g. "gnome-sound-recorder". It will be
recorded at the wrong speed.
3) Access the video using e.g. "gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src ! xvimagesink"
4) Record something again. Now it's at the right speed.

Does anyone know why this might be? My best guess is that the video
sets up the correct timer in some way. And is there anywhere I could
(usefully) report this bug?

Cheers
David

David Hugh-Jones