Re: [LAU] installation weirdness

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 15:50:32 EEST

Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> Den Wednesday 29 April 2009 13.38.06 skrev Dave Phillips:
>
>> Any advice from the experts before I try the 64-bit install ?
>>

> The only two issues I know about is that you should avoid ext4 for now and you
> might experience (I did) system freeze (on smp machines) with the RT-kernel.
> If you get system freeze, then just add nosmp to your kernel parameter in
> Grub's menu.lst and then you're ok.

Thanks, I'll remember that tip.

> I choosed to just install Kubuntu this time and then add the RT kernel. I have
> also compiled almost every music related apps (from jackd with deps and
> upwards) and libs from scratch. No problems so far. The reason of compiling is
> that the libs IMO tends to shortly be to old when some new plugins and apps
> arrive.

I usually discard unwanted apps and build the ones I want. However, I
want to write a review of an unaltered Ubuntu Studio 9.04, so I need to
install it on some machine here. The laptop tends to be my experimental
box, but I'll install the distro on another machine if necessary.

Best,

dp