[LAU] Thinking of getting a Shuttle for audio

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 20:44:31 EEST

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Shuttle PC to run sound installations from (I need a
portable machine for transport). The particular one I have an eye on is this
one:

Shuttle KPC K4500 Desktop, 1.8GHz Celeron, 512MB, 80GB, Foresight Linux
Desktop Computer

probably getting a little bit more memory for it, just to be sure.
And I'll build in my Terratec EWS88 as an audio card.
(One of the reasons to go for a Shuttle, rather than the also tempting Asus
EeeBox, but then I'd need an external soundcard, which doesn't seem to be
there in lowcost, but many channels, and probably USB; I need at least
4in-8out for the installation).

Does anyone have experience with Shuttle machines for audio work?

Does anyone have audio experience with Foresight Linux?
or should I just take that off the machine, and put Ubuntu or Debian on it
instead?

Main apps I need are emacs, SuperCollider, JACK... and the machine should run
for a couple of months non-stop. (which generally doesn't seem to be a
problem with the particular sound installation; I've done it before, and the
only cause for shutdown was power failure in the building).

Sincerely,
Marije