Re: [LAU] Newer USB audio interfaces

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 11:02:09 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>>
>>> I'd guess that Microsoft doesn't ship a driver as long as there is no
>>> device to test it with, and that nobody builds a device if it does not
>>> work with Windows.
>>>
>> So this could be an opportunity for some savvy marketing.
>>
>> "ALSA usb-audio drivers are the defacto standard for proving usb
>> specifications compliance.
>>

> So you are volunteering to write the code? ;-)

Credit where credit is due. I am currently under the impression that you
have already made substantial headway in this matter over the past
several years.

By defacto standard that would imply that is is not the official
standard anyway. However there is a strong case for the ALSA usb-audio
driver to be the official standard too as it is completely open sourced.

Might be worth the consortium approaching the usb standards authority to
get them to assess the compliance of the driver...

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.