Re: [LAU] state of multimedia

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 02:36:01 EEST

James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 06:04:31PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at blender again and it appears that the reason it won't
>> load a movie for me is because the Fedora 10 version was compiled
>> without ffmpeg support.
>>
>> WTF?
>>

> Certain libraries trigger license or patent issues in some countries,
> and so Fedora won't package them. As a result, they must compile
> Blender without a critical feature.
>

>> mplayer without jack support and blender without ffmpeg support.
>>
>> I hope they fixed both in Fedora 11.
>>

> Don't bet on it.
>

>> Do all the distros have this policy?
>>

> No. Several distributions have a more relaxed policy. Hunt around.
>
> Some distribution communities also provide a secondary repository for
> restricted formats or libraries.

The annoying thing is I already have ffmpeg package installed and I
assumed that if I have that package then I should also get a version of
blender compiled to use it. What's the point of making a non ffmpeg
blender that has priority over a compatible version if the ffmpeg
packages are already installed?

Jack is included in fedora core IIUC so I have no idea why anyone would
compile mplayer without jack support.

To me it just highlights the state of multimedia support in Fedora and
possibly other OS's where there is still a level of disconnect that IMO
has been overcome in the LAD community and is shown by the people who
package the audio apps.