Re: [LAU] Gentoo as a DAW platform

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 05:11:21 EEST

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Ray Rashif wrote:

>> From personal experience, my very first _hobby_ project before I started out
> in the audio industry was to set up a Linux studio environment with Gentoo.
> I ended up victimised and gave in to the CFLAGS club while never having
> gotten anything done. That was the period of my life I wish I could fix. I

I've already avoided getting sucked into that in my life with FreeBSD.
I use only '-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe' and nothing else.

If I were to go to Gentoo, I wouldn't be seeking compiler optimizations
so much as freedom to keep consistent things that distros change their
minds about just as soon as you think you've found one with policies you
like. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse...I used to think they were each
mistakes in a learning process until I finally realized that at the
particular time I liked each one, it was because of something they were
each respectively doing right at the time. They just change their minds
and you have to go looking for a new "least evil choice."

I think one possibly overlooked advantage of a source-based distro is it
might give you a platform where you can adopt a policy of your own for
how things are going to be and expect that it will stay the same long
enough for you to enjoy it. I don't know, I'm still trying to decide
though, and I am open to all kinds of ideas.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky