Re: [LAU] jackdmp and libjack.la

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 18:14:00 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> [snip]
>> So woul'nt be better to solve the initial issue at the right place?
>>

> I read the IRC log, but I'm not sure which place is the right one. Waf ?
> Jackdmp's sources ? The distro ?

<jackdmp>/linux/wscript should be the place where to say that you want to
generate libjack.la.

> Beyond my immediate problem of building the latest MusE, I wondered how
> all this stuff will be handled in the very near future, i.e. how is 64
> Studio 3 going to build MusE if its build system demands libjack.la and
> the distro hasn't yet bumped up to jackdmp ? And if jackdmp's waf build
> manager doesn't make .la files how will 64 Studio accommodate Jackbeat,
> MusE, and others after bumping up ?
>
> Olivier, was there any special difficulty in removing the libtool stuff
> from Jackbeat's build system ? If it's a relatively painless procedure
> I'll try to remove the dependency from MusE's sources to see if I can
> get it completely built here.

I don't know the MusE code, and I can't tell you how difficult that would be,
and even if this is really recommendable or possible. In Jackbeat it was very
easy, but it may be *very* different in MusE. I presume it builds some shared
library for its own use, where some low level stuff is well encapsulated, and
which is linked to libjack.

In order to remove libtool you would need to build this internal MusE lib as a
static library. I just hope this shared library isn't (meant to be) used by
another app than MusE, because then you obviously shouldn't build it as a static
lib...

If that can help, here's the way I turned the offending Jackbeat's libstream
into a static library:

http://jackbeat.samalyse.org/changeset?new=570%40trunk&old=567%40trunk

--
  Olivier