Re: [LAU] [OT] Help with mixing and mastering?

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 23:27:51 EEST

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 06:21:57AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> <SNIP>
> I did not realize that you were paying for that space. That makes a
> huge difference. VERY difficult and expensive to pay for an education
> that way.

Yes.. a bit of a shame

> What the chance of doing some individual tracking at one of your
> houses/flats, etc.? Leave the practice space as the place you get loud
> as a band but do some of this where you can spend more time and be a
> little more reflective?

Sounds like a good idea. Only problem is we all live at different
places across London, and getting together for our weekly
rehearsal is difficult enough. I will run by the idea of meeting
at the drummers house instead of at the studio with the other
members and see how feasible it would be. We will be even more
limited with mics and amps but it still seems like a good idea to
me. Will let you know how it goes with that.

> Anyway, I'll try to listen to the track recordings this week. I
> suppose with this new information about song and space my initial
> thought is it is going to come down to your ears. Do you feel the
> tracking of this guitar sounds 'right'. Does it sound like what you
> hear in the room you recorded in? Does it sound like you want it to
> sound, etc.

I am pretty happy with the guitar (although it could do with
another take as it doesn't start at the right time). The bass is
not so good because of that resonance problem. I have a DI on my
amp, but not on the one in the studio. Perhaps I could re-record
the bass at home. The drums are a little trebly with no real kick
drum.. Also the drums clip in ardour at 2 points despite tracking
for most of the time at -15. They were recorded with 1 mic (SM58)
over the kit and 1 inside the bass drum mixed thru the PA.

One thing I noticed - on the PA there was a light that came on
with the bass drum - I worried it was clipping so I turned the
volume right down, but this did not stop the red light coming on,
and I think I may have overdone it as I think the mixed drum
track is missing too much bass drum. Ideally I want to be able to
record the drums to an adequate level with only 1 mic. Is that
even slightly likely?

James