Re: [LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 13:49:21 EEST

Burkhard Ritter wrote:
> TheOther wrote:
>
>> From this (disabling the motherboard sound chip) I inferred that
>> PulseAudio was developed as a means for helping Windows users transfer
>> to Linux in a painless manner. I'm assuming PulseAudio was never
>> intended to be useful for advanced Linux audio users, because it
>> wasn't checking for additional sound chips/cards/devices *and*
>> allowing the user to specify the order in which those sound
>> chips/cards/devices would be used. PulseAudio always defaulted to the
>> motherboard sound chip, and a fair number of Linux sound applications
>> always default to the default sound chip/card/device (which in the
>> case of PulseAudio will be the motherboard sound chip.) Hence, you're
>> having all this trouble in trying to use a special video/audio card
>> because PulseAudio and very likely your sound application are only
>> trying to use your motherboard sound chip, since that is the default.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Stephen.
>>

> This is just wrong. You can change the default card easily from the
> pulseaudio applet, see a recent thread for details and discussion. I'm
> beginning to suspect that the bad acceptance of Pulseaudio that's
> perceivable at least on this list is in not a small part only due to bad
> user interface design. Namely hiding major functionality in context
> menus in obscure places.

That's certainly one part of the issue. Although I find the applets are
quite handy when I'm using the correct one. In Fedora there is a "volume
control" and a "pulse vu control" which both have the same icon and are
similarly named as to be confusing. Also the pulse vu control is
accessed via the applicaations/sound and video menu where as the vu
control is accessed via System/Preferences/Hardware/

I personally feel that pulse vu control should be in the systems menu.

There is also a problem with the general negative attitude towards pulse
audio that can be seen when doing a search on the web for information
about how to make it work.

I think this negative feedback creates a negative user experience.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd