Re: [LAU] MIDI Input of LAU Applications

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 12:58:43 EEST

Crypto wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 6th 2009 04:24:52 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Crypto wrote:
>>
>>> Hi @LAU people,
>>>
>>> I would like to open a discussion about the MIDI capabilities of LAU
>>> applications here.
>>>
>> [...]
>>

>> I htink everyone would aggree that midi support for devices is not as
>> user friendly as it could be. It's something that has not had alot of
>> attention because there are simply not enough people with devices who
>> are prepared to spend time on it at the moment.
>>
>> Have you tried working with osc to connect your device?
>>
>> Which specific apps are you using to connect the device with and what
>> are the specific issues that you see? If we strip it back to specific
>> issues then we should be able to use your setup as a test bed of sorts
>> to get round them or give the original devs a heads up.
>>

>> Cheers.
>>
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd
>>

> Patrick,
>
> thx for your reply here.
>
> I have had a look at the OSC webpages and it seems to me that OSC is not what
> I need. It appears to exeed the abilities /overcome limitations of MIDI to
> some degree, but if an application does not implement OSC features I am stuck
> again (or if that is not true than I have not yet found about how to control
> any application using OSC, a setup in which OSC acts as a MIDI-to-pc-command
> converter).
>

> This is what I have and what I would like to to with it:
>
> http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=64174aa51a6518cc8da27b3e1b4bac9b&topic=11070.msg86228#msg86228

Very cool idea.

So from your description below, you have some trouble getting "some"
midi messages to be received by various applications?

Hydrogen is being actively worked on and I'm sure you would get a quick
response from the team by posting this specific issue of the message for
the fill in event not being understood/received.

It's possible that no one has thought to implement this but that it is
actually a small step with a couple of lines of specific code for that
feature connected to a specific function. I assume that Hydrogen/H2
already supports fill-ins with a gui control so attaching a specific
midi message to that control will be a straightforward step if you can
provide the sysex message and/or assist with testing.

I agree with you that we are sorely missing a universal method for
learning the sysex of the available controller. A daemon app that looked
after this and provided a standard translation for every app to access
would be ideal. So far it has been left to the devs to implement the
midi protocol directly via alsa/oss into each app. Recently things have
improved with jack midi but it is still being road tested as it is just
a couple of years old.

I'm not sure if anyone is working on a daemon for learning and
translating midi control messages. Perhaps someone could start by taking
the specific code out of Ardour or maybe if enough people put a bounty
on it Paul would consider splitting it out himself for everyone to use...

It's a pretty big project and would need a commitment of several months
to make it truly accessible. But we do have the building blocks in place
if someone wanted to make some headway.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd