Re: [LAU] pulseaudio issues [was Re: jackdbus issues: a workaround ? (Was: more jack/qjackctl madness)]

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 06:43:30 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I have got a problem with pulseaudio and jack not playing together. More
>> importantly I have got a problem with pulseaudio being the default sound
>> server and not having automated functionality to connect with jack. If
>> after 10 years of running Linux audio, I have issues with getting
>> pulseaudio to play nicely then pulseaudio is failing to meet it's main
>> objective of making things easy for desktop users.
>>
>> I would really like to encourage the pulseaudio people who are reading
>> here to make pulse gracefully and automatically cede control to jack and
>> then auto configure itself as a jack interface.
>>

> Pulse includes "pasuspender" to handle this use case. From the man page:
>
> pasuspender is a tool that can be used to tell a local
> PulseAudio sound server to temporarily suspend access to the audio
> devices, to allow other applications access them directly. pasuspender
> will suspend access to the audio devices, fork a child process,
> and when the child process terminates, resume access again.
>
> I guess this should be integrated into qjackctl & friends.

I disagree. It should be up to pulse to autodetect and reconfigure
itself gracefully.

Pulse is the system that takes control and generally refuses to let go
in a graceful fashion so it should not be up to everyone else to force
it to play nicely.

Also, do you know if pasuspend can handle connecting to jack?

For example IIUC currently you need to run a seperate config file for
pulse to even try to connect to jack. So if pasuspend is used will pulse
actually connect to a jack server or will it just idle until jack is
shutdown?

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey