Re: [LAU] ubuntu realtime.

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 15:15:51 EEST

Marcel Marti wrote:

> ... I think that a distro that misses an RT kernel twice is not a
> serious audio oriented distro.
Agree++.

The exchange over this topic has been quite timely for me. I've received
an offer to write articles for a magazine dedicated to Ubuntu, and I
find myself in a dilemma. I've installed Intrepid, Hardy, 64 Studio 3
beta (based on Hardy), and Jaunty w. Ubuntu Studio. I've had serious
problems with every one of them, and not only on my laptop.

Yesterday I installed 8.10 (i386) on my 2nd production box, then I
proceeded to the online upgrade to Jaunty. Everything went well, then I
installed the Ubuntu Studio meta packages. At first I thought everything
was okay, then I ran into an old problem. At some point it became
impossible to close anything, e.g. terminal window, running programs,
even the session. I ran into exactly the same problem on my laptop when
I originally installed 8.10 there. I reported it, as did many other
users, yet here it is still, annoying as ever. In fact, almost every
problem I encountered in 8.10 is still present. Frustration leads me to
wonder whether the devs ever even read the forums. (I'm sure they do,
but why this persistence of well-known issues ?)

Is Ubuntu development really this bad ? I find it hard to believe that
such great efforts towards desktop improvements have overshadowed sheer
workability. At this point I'm looking for a replacement for the UStudio
default rt kernel, perhaps that will alleviate the problem, but one
thing is certain: As it exists now, I can't recommend Ubuntu Studio in
good faith. Too much extra work is required to make it work, and the
remaining performance problems simply obviate its utility.

Btw, the partitioner worked fine, but it reduced the disk space for my
previous JAD installation by so much that I was unable to log in until I
made more space in /home.

UStudio looks great. If it performed as well as it looks I'd have no
hesitancy about recommending it.

Best,

dp