Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: <sonofzev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 06:54:04 EEST

>but for stuff like audio where 98% of the stuff you want to instal resides in
Git/Hg,

>ive had much greater availability and ease with two solutions:
>
>proaudio overlay (for gentoo) and Paludis (for handling of hg/git/vcs depchain
updating)

>and the AUR / archaudio.org project for Arch..

I can vouch for pro-audio..but haven't really tried Paludis (definitely something
I will look into though).

I personally think a Gentoo (pro-audio) or arch based distro (or even snapshot)
is best for audio...
Doing something like "Gmaq" (for lack of knowing his real name) has been doing
with AVLinux.. and effectively creating a snapshot once or maybe twice a year (at
the absolute most)....

Experienced/Adventurous users could use this as a base to work from.. newbies, or
people who want something that just works could just update the image every time
it comes out (preferably it wouldn't touch your /etc/* files and obviously not
/home) ..

The Pro-Audio overlay and Arch Audio guys have the right idea, only focussing on
packaging things that aren't covered in the mainstream distro. IN the case of
Pro-Audio (as I can't speak for arch) also creating a "package" for SVN,GIT,CVS
trunks for those that want or need to use the development versions.

The next stage would be to simply create the image/snapshot ... initially this
could be installed from another live cd... (instructions on how to partition,
what filesystems to choose and then basically copy, edit fstab and networking
config files, install grub and reboot)...

and finally a very basic install media (like ARCH... although with the ability to
discover and create mdadm lvm partitions)...