Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 12:51:17 EEST

On 06/04/2009 04:23 PM, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> When more people join, the quality will be improved, and in the end less
> time will be wasted for tweaking the system instead of making music.

For a lot of people tweaking the system is their goal. Partly because if
they actually produced anything it would be subject to criticism and in
many cases wouldn't be what they wanted to achieve but instead just a
product (snapshot) of their tweaking.

There's room for everyone to allow for being originally creative,
commercially viable and playing around with the latest toys/code.

Considering that there are several distros that attempt to make audio
and multimedia apps easier for people to get access to and produce
results with I think we are spoiled for choice.

If someone really wants to have a perfect setup they should be prepared
to spend the money on getting someone else to do it for them or spend
the time doing it themselves.

Compiling an rt kernel is not brain surgery. Having a pre compiled rt
kernel option is a useful addition to the suite of tools. If we had a
dedicated list of proven hardware setups with kernel versions, links to
the various precompiled rt kernels for each distro and basic build steps
that would also assist people who are taking the plunge.

Similar to the Hackintosh "known to work with x hardware" pages.

Is there already someone maintaining a page like this? I will add a link
to the LAU-guide in the next update which is coming soon.

If not I will be happy to make some changes to the low latency howto to
cover the points above.

Also can you send me the link to the debian rt kernel project please?

And if anyone else knows of specific links to other rt kernel projects
repos please send them through.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd