[LAU] Problem with soundcards setup

From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 06 2009 - 12:25:53 EEST

Hi all, something has changed in my configuration, and my efforts to
try and fix it up has made everything much worse. Please help. I used
to have my internal soundcard on hw:0 and my usb card on hw:1. They
are now at hw:3 and hw:4 for some reason. I would like the old setting
back, so please take a look at my settings and make suggestions, it
would be greatly appreciated!

my .asoundrc (unchanged since the time it worked)

pcm.jackplug {
        type plug
        slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
        type jack
        playback_ports {
                0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
                1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
        }
        capture_ports {
                0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
                1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
        }
}

my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (which seemed to be a new file, which was
messing up stuff, so I copied my old /etc/modprobe.d/alsa to this one,
after adding the very last line, to try and get the order of the
soundcards right)

# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# OSS/Free portion - card #2
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.16rc1 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-slot-1 snd-usb-audio
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

options snd slots=snd-card-0,snd-card-1

I do think I lost one line that specified how many sound cards there
were in the system, but that they are now in hw:3 and hw:4 suggests
there's something deeper wrong. Any ideas?

Kernel 2.6.29.3-rt14 on Gentoo if that matters!