Re: [LAU] CLI interface for bit-for-bit duplication of CDs?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 07 2009 - 21:11:55 EEST

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Julien Claassen<julien@c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>  I usually use cdrecord (aka wodim), and I know there cdrdao, but I never
> got it to work properly with my IDE CD-drive. I compiled my own kernel and
> it doesn't have IDE-SCSI emulation. That might be a problem. I know that
> cdrdao can do gapless and cdrecord should be able to do that as well. But I
> don't know how. But these are the alternatives in the console I know of.
> Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
>  Kindest regards
>         Julien

Thanks Julien. These are the ones I'm also looking at, along with
cdda2wav. I'd like to go command line because I've had a few problems
in Linux, one of which Joerg Schilling (sp?) says may be related to a
long-standing SCSI bug in the kernel, but from my early tests doesn't
show up at all under Cygwin.

k3b seems to use:

/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hda speed=40 -raw96r
driveropts=burnfree -clone -eject /home/mark/backups/k3b_0.img

to build an image file for what that program calls a Clone. I then see this:

/usr/bin/readcd -v dev=/dev/hda f=/home/mark/backups/k3b_0.img -clone
retries=128 ts=128k

I suspect to write the CD-Rs that aren't working in my car.

Anyway, I've played with a few commands and gotten data on disk, but I
haven't tried writing anything to CD-R yet.

Also, look into

readcd -c2scan
cdrecord -minfo

for testing the quality of what's on CD, along with lots of other
command line variations.

Again, thanks for the interest.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. - Seems like Dave should have written this up years ago in the
Linux Journal. Probably he did! ;-)