Re: [LAU] what's up with midi clock

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 10 2009 - 23:31:40 EEST

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Brent Busby<brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 May 2009, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it's all just a shitty old protocol that is finally being replaced
>>> by stuff like jack transport (that works very reliable, actually
>>> precisely between renoise and ardour).
>>
>> If you're speaking of MIDI, I have to agree about the actual protocol, but
>> we still can't do without it.  I have a Roland Jupiter-8, an Oberheim OB-8,
>> an Ensoniq ESQ-1, and a Multimoog connected to MIDI via a CV/gate convertor.
>>  There is currently no replacing the sound of these older synthesizers with
>> any softsynth I've ever heard, plus there is just something about old
>> classic synths.
>>
>> For the sake of instruments like these, Linux needs good MIDI support! (It
>> would be nice for more current hardware to go with something that works over
>> gigabit ethernet and uses IP...much less problems I'd imagine...)
>
> I have no idea what you imagine or find Linux to be lacking in terms
> of "MIDI support" that would affect any of these devices, unless you
> mean actual applications.

No, actually it just sounded like Atte was trying to assess whether
debugging problems with MIDI i/o in the apps was worth doing anymore,
now that we have Jack connections within the software. I just wanted
developers to remember there are people still out there that care a lot
about outboard gear.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky