[LAU] Problems with usb midi cable

From: Denis A. Altoé Falqueto <denisfalqueto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 21:26:40 EEST

Hello,

I've bought a (el cheapo) midi-usb cable so I can play my musical
keyboard (also el cheapo... but I'm no professional :)). The thing is
that when I try to use it in my laptop (Gigabyte W566U, ArchLinux 64
bits, up to date), it is not reliable. I play the keys and the midi
events are not delivered correctly. I'm using aseqdump to debug. For
example, I press 5 keys and see 5 key down events, but when I releas
them, only 2 o 3 note up events are shown. And if I play too many
notes, it just stops receiving any events from the device, dmesg show
a strange message "urb status -75" and reconnects the usb device. I've
googled about that, but couldn't find anything usefull.

I tested the same cable on my old desktop (Asus A7N8X-X motherboard,
nvidia MX440 graphics card, 5 years of intensive e loyal use,
ArchLinux 32 bits) and it works fine. The difference between the two
seems to be the usb module that handles the device. On the laptop, it
is uhci_hcd, while on the desktop it is ohci_hcd who is loaded. I've
tried by all means I know to use ohci_hcd in the laptop too but I've
failed. Some things I remember to have tried:

1 - force the load order in the 3 possible ways in Arch (rc.conf,
mkinitcpio.conf and modprobe.conf, doesn't affect anything)
3 - disable uhci_hcd from loading (stops recognizing anything usb related)
4 - using a rt enabled kernel (doesn't affect anything, in fact my
desktop is old and the cable works with the default Arch kernel, which
is using CONFIG_NO_HZ=y)

Does anyone has any suggestions on how can I force ohci_hcd to be
loaded before uhci_hcd? Or is it realy the problem? I'm open to any
suggestions.