Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 02:13:22 EEST

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Atte Andre Jensen<atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml
>
> Wohoow, that is some step-by-step-by-step-by-step guide you have there.
>
> Not sure where I went wrong, maybe at:
>
> (The following is an example, adapt it to your hardware)
> livecd root # modprobe 3w-9xxx
> livecd root # modprobe r8169
>
> Notice the "adapt it to your hardware"-part :-)
>
> Anyways, as I said, it's probably just me that's too stupid...
>
> --
> Atte

I doubt you're the least bit stupid. A Gentoo install is a bit of a
stretch the first time you you do it but I Can promise you that if you
want to do a basic install the way that document lays out the machine
then those instructions work. If you want to set up some different
partitions for things, like I always stick /var on its own partition
so that log files don't fill up the root partition, then you do need
to make some modifications, but those instructions work. Used them 3-4
times in the last year.

Now, as for the install, it does require a network to get very far. If
you can get to the network from the install CD then you can do it in
the install if you figure out what they've set up. However, if you
cannot get to the network but your network hardware is supported in
the kernel you can do an install, duplicate the CD environment on your
drive, build a new kernel (even if you have to put the tar.bz files on
a CD or USB stick to get them on the new box) and anfter you have your
kernel you'll have the network and can do the final update to make the
machine 100% up to date.

EVEN if you don't end up using Gentoo maybe you want to make a 20GB
partition, do the install and dual boot for a while. Doing a Gentoo
install successfully is good learning for any Linux box.

Good luck and if you even want help with this sort of thing feel free to write.

Cheers,
Mark