Re: [LAU] lovely weather

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 23:11:22 EEST

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 03:48:47PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Actually, I'm surprised that you guys hadn't noticed: The jacket had
> already been struck by lightning.

If I were in <your_favourite_god_controlling_lightning>'s
shoes it would have been on my list of targets as well...

Two weeks ago we had a spectacular thunderstorm in Parma,
quite unlike anything I'd seen before. In half an hour
the equivalent of two months of rain came down, and the
lightning was sort of continuous instead of a stroke
every so many seconds. The crane on the building site
behing the CdM was hit four times, lost some paint but
survived. Up to 40 cm of water of some of the nearby
streets. I happened to be at the Casa del Suono - we
shut down all equipment, cut the main power and hoped
for the best - there's no way to disconnect everything
at short notice in such an large installation. No damage
except for some windows broken by the thick balls of ice
that came down as well.

Makes me wonder why we are still using 8-wire electrical
network cables - optical should be cheaper today.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.