Re: [LAU] someone awhile back posted about how to make a bootable Linux flash drive?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 00:44:36 EEST

I've tried it with a number of Live Linux distros that all run fine from
CD, and they all seem to be consistently searching for the CDROM. I
tried tweaking some of the Unetbootin GRUB command lines without any
success.

Probably the real problem is that I'm not using a USB stick. I'm using a
4GB compact flash card in a PCMCIA slot card reader ... computer stuff
around here is never as simple as it should be!

I did finally get US 8.10 installed from a DVD (burned at 8x speed).
That DVD totalled 1.2GB. I tried the same trick (burn at 8x speed) with
ArtistX .6 and .7, and both of the installs failed partway through with
I/O error messages. The ArtistX DVD's are 3.3GB, so I think the laptop's
DVD drive has problems reading data past a certain distance on the disc.

US 8.10 runs fine here with latency set around 10 msec.

Big annoyance about US 8.10 - it has Pulseaudio installed and running,
so I always have to killall pulseaudio before JACK will start. When I
get through with the installation gyrations, I'll deal with that
permanently.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden