Re: [LAU] Paul Hindemith says hello

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 18:26:13 EEST

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:51:50AM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:

> On Monday 22 June 2009 10:33:00 Paul Davis wrote:
> > his allusion was clearly that most of what we all produce
> > is crap, but that shouldn't stop anyone from engaging in the process.
>
> and if you listen to people who made lasting music of various sorts, you will
> hear some tell how the pieces they did not think much of became the ones the
> public liked most.

How the public will react to you work is something that as an artist
you don't have any control over, that's part of the game. Some now
famous works in the classical area were complete failures when first
presented.

Also history can play strange games. Bach's Passions were forgotten
for a century until Mendelssohn 'rediscovered' them. Most of 'early'
music (start of 17th century and before) was almost ignored until
the revival movement that started in the second half of the 20th
century,

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.