Re: [LAU] thunderstorm

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 19:59:49 EEST

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:11:30AM -0500, TheOther wrote:
>
> > Let's see, there's 640 acres to a section, and a section of
> > land is 1 mile by 1 mile, or a 1 mile square.
>
> Incredible, those units !
>
> So a square piece of one acre would have a size of
> 1 mile / sqrt(640). That square root is not an integer.
>
> Is this the definition of 1 acre ?

In old days (long before you and me) an acre was the amount of land a man
and an ox could plow in a day :) One day in the distant future the USA will
adopt metric. Or not. Mind you, we did here in Canada 20+ (30?) years ago
and we still talk about miles, acres, pounds and inches. Instead of a metric
or imperial system we have a bit of both.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden