Re: [LAU] Daemons, daemons...kill those daemons.

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 22:43:19 EEST

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, allan wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:43 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>> I think I'm going to go with KDE 4, just because it's the future, like
>> it or not. Short of setting up a standalone machine that never gets
>> updated, no one can stay on KDE 3 forever, so I'm plunging forward.
>
> This is a rather blanket statement.. Linux is each to their own "freedom
> of choice"... If someone gets the functionality they need from a wm and
> it happens to be manually configured (like the old days)..
>
> for those of us that have been using linux for "pro" audio purposes for
> a while we have learnt that an non-obtrusive wm tends to allow for lower
> latencies (less polling happening)...
>
> but as I said each to their own..

It's true, very true that in Linux, nobody's making your update your
software. But my studio machine is not so dedicated that it's not also
on the Internet. I like getting security updates...and eventually,
there comes a point where a KDE 3 desktop is just not patchable anymore.

Since I posted that, I decided to go with KDE 3 afterall, and did
install it, but I still know I can't stay forever...not if I want to
keep on getting security support.

On the bright side, it's not as obnoxious as some company changing their
file formats every release version just to keep you upgrading because
they arbitrarily want to keep taking your money.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky