Re: [LAU] KDE4 observations + an easy question

From: Danni Coy <danni.coy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 13:06:27 EEST

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM, jedd <jedd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Howdi,
>
> New to list, relatively new to audio stuff, long time GNU/Linux user.
>
> Backtraced the lists and saw some talk of KDE4. I got lumped with
> this when Debian unstable pushed it out (4.2.2) a couple of months
> back. I'd be wary of recommending anyone - with a working 3.5.x
> system - to upgrade unless they really need something on 4.x I've
> just found it a bit too unstable for comfort, even with the 4.2.4
> upgrade. Even leaving aside the audio-complications you'll get with
> phonon and gstreamer stuff.

Phonon generaly works better on top of libxine than gstreamer.... I am on
Kubuntu here and KDE4 Is working quite well - though amarok can be a bit of
a pig on the realtime kernel.

> My first question to the list is pretty easy. I think I want an
> application that lets me 'pause' an audio track but holds onto
> whatever it was playing at that time - in order to try to reverse
> engineer the notes. I'm sure this isn't an uncommon thing, but
> no idea what magic words to search for in feature lists. I could
> possibly do it by zooming into a waveform and making my own
> mini-loops, but this seems a very arduous approach.

The best tool of for doing that sort of thing that I can think of is sonic
visualizer.
You won't get your exact feature request (you do have have to set up your
own mini loop, but you can move the beginning and end of the loop in
realtime. You can also slow down the playback (without changing pitch). And
the melodic spectra overlay pretty much plots the interesting notes on a
pianoroll style scale for you.