Re: [LAU] SynthForge - new modular synth builder

From: Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 22:26:38 EEST

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 20:23 +0200, Mysth-R wrote:
> Hi Damon,
> thank you for this piece of software. It looks very promising.
> It looks a bit like SynthEdit, isn't it ?
> I dream about a SynthEdit for linux, wich could export patch into LV2
> or LADSPA plugins. Please tell me that you are doing it !! :D

Yes, it is very similar to SynthEdit, and Reaktor. (I have Reaktor, and
some of the synths available are excellent. I hope SynthForge can be
used to create lots of synths like those someday.)

I'd like to turn SynthForge into an LV2 plugin with a GUI that can be
used in a DAW like Ardour. I'm not sure about exporting projects as
separate LV2 or LADSPA plugins - the SynthForge engine would still be
needed to run the projects, so I'm not sure you gain much by creating
separate LV2/LADSPA plugins (and it would be a lot of work to support
that). Reaktor doesn't export plugins either - you just load in the
ensemble project files. That seems to work OK.

> Well, I tested it a bit, and here are my first impressions :

> - perhaps a right click should be an alternative to the menu (add
> modules / modules properties ...)

Yes.

> - I got many xruns with Jack when I play a note and move my mouse
> focusing differents windows.

I don't get many here. But it is easy to overload the CPU if the number
of voices & unison settings are high. Is your CPU usage very high? Try
reducing the number of voices to see if that fixes it.

I'll try to optimise it at some point to bring down the CPU usage.

> - a left click to select multiples modules

Yes.

> - I didn't find how to delete a preset manager

It's a bit awkward at present. You have to middle-click or Control
+left-click on the buttons on the right of the preset manager to select
it. Then hit the Delete toolbar button. I'll try to make it easier in
future (GTK+ is being awkward!)

> - I got many : "librdf fatal - Cannot add statement to model" running
> Synthforge (I think this is not a synthforge issue)

Yes, that sounds like a librdf bug. I think I had that problem with an
old version. Try updating them.

Damon