Re: [LAU] Best realtime audio dstro for Eee

From: oz <oz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 01:05:26 EEST

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
Norval Watson <norv2001@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi y'all,
> I want to install a realtime audio distro on my new Asus Eee 901.
> I need a 2.6.29 realtime kernel or higher to support the hardware on my Eee.
> I have got the 2G RAM (haven't swapped it in yet).
> AFAIK, options include:
> DebianEeePC http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
> ArchLinux http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_901
> Eeebuntu http://www.eeebuntu.org/
> Indamixx USB stick, when it's available, (and it's not free)
>
> I have been using Debian unstable for some years so I'm most familiar with that.
> Any suggestions welcome, particularly regarding optimizing the kernel.
> TIA
> Norv

Hi,

I like Debian the best and have great results with realtime on my
eee-pc 901. You might like to enter my thread "Pianoteq on Linux
netbook" on http://www.forum-pianoteq.com, where I described a few
tunings I've made. Because I was too lazy to build my own RT-kernel, I
installed the kernel from AV-Linux (which seems to be a very good
distro btw):
http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux2/linux-image-2.6.29-rt1-rt_2.6.29-rt1-rt-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

I can play the physical modeled pianos with latencies of 2,9ms at 44,1
kHz for example.