Re: [LAU] Best realtime audio dstro for Eee

From: munkeyfreenix batcat <munkeyfreenix.batcat@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 07:28:22 EEST

yeah, compiling can drag on slower machines, but during the gentoo install
(or whenever) you can alter your optimization flags for speed or size and
what not.

the reason i prefer the pain of compiling everything from source is that
portage gives you full control of conditional compiling through use flags in
a framework like apt. its more involved, but you don't have to dig through
make files, just run emerge -pv <package atom> and see what you can exclude
and what you want to include. so long as you don't miss something incredibly
important, it makes things run smoothly (or if you botch it, not at all).

not the most scientific metric, but on this dell inspiron e1505 (intel core
duo 2Gz each processor, 100Gig ram) running XP, fruity loops by itself on a
clean boot could choke it up if i added 3 vst synths and some intensive
effects.

on gentoo, i've ran the jack server with maybe 6-9 other apps at a time for
hours while compiling and trying new programs and at one point i recompiled
my kernel. after 3 hours not even an xrun.

if compiling is still an issue though, you can create a tool chain with the
crossdev package to compile for that architecture on a different gentoo
machine that can deal with it. then once you've produced the binaries you
can load the customized app onto the target machine. given that most folks
don't have another gentoo machine (having one can be trouble enough), i
don't think it would be unthinkable that some sort of community crossdev
server could be created where packages could be emerged and downloaded from
at later times. it would definitely add to the audio distro community as
well, because then packages that worked well could be shared without
recompiling again.