Re: [LAU] M-Audio ProFire 610

From: Syl <aa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 12:20:03 EEST

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 04:53, Nicanor Garcia <ngocello@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had the same worries that you have when I was going to buy an interface
> for my linux audio computer, so I may help you.
>
> Let me tell you that the 610 is meant to solve all the problems of the 410
> in which it's based and which is mostly incompatible with any system,
> including Windows and Mac. And since M-Audio wont release give support for
> linux, I would take a chance with that interface.
>
> Firewire interfaces are somewhat difficult to put to work in Linux, but if
> you take a look in ffado.rog you'll notice there are some that look very
> good that have similar characteristics and of the M-Audio 610:
>
> ECHO Audio Fire 4
> http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire4/index.php
>
> Edirol FA-66
> http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=731&ParentId=114
>
> Edirol FA-101
> http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=702&ParentId=114
>
> Among others. The rest you can find here:
> http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport%2Flist&filter0=&filter1=&op2=OR&filter2[]=perfect<http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport%2Flist&filter0=&filter1=&op2=OR&filter2%5B%5D=perfect>
>
> Check Focusrite which they have send to ffado directly so they can test
> them for compatibility and also is the company that makes pre-amps for
> Digidesign of Pro-tools.
>
> I never tried this interfaces, but I'm sure there are several users that
> can tell you about them in the list.
>
> On the other hand, I decided to buy the M-Audio Fast Track Pro an USB
> interface that worked out of the box in linux. In my little knowledge, I've
> heard that USB audio interfaces work better on linux.
>
> Anything else I can help you just write me.
>
> Saludos from Colombia.
>
> Nicanor GarcĂ­a O.

Thanks Nicanor for your input.

Indeed, i would like also something working out of the box with Linux. As i
prefer take my time to learn how to make music under Linux rather to get
crazy getting my audio interface running.

My first choose was to get a portable audio interface, so that i can easily
move it around and if necessary using it on different boxes. As firewire is
by design quicker than USB2, i thought it's the best choose.
I did some search on the Roland product, and the FA-101 looks very very
nice. In addition it's made in Japan, which is for me a gage of quality. But
it's of course quick expensive...

In another hand, i wonder if a PCI card like the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, won't
be a better choose for starting ...
What do you think?

Thank you all for your guidance :-)