Re: [LAU] New Music

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 13:40:00 EEST

Bill Allen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Bill Allen <bill@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:bill@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> Here are a couple of new songs that I've done recently with Ardour,
> Hydrogen, ZynAddSubFX, AMS, and some ladspa plugins. They are pretty
> different from each other so if you don't like the first try the
> other :)
>
> http://www.k2bea.org/Home/The_Tree_of_Life.ogg

Great playing - sounds filtered in a way tho - too much mid scoop on the
eq? Sounds like I'm separated from the snare/bass drums too much - they
need more presence IMHO. I don't really like the choice of bass sound -
a more traditional bass guitar or double bass would fit better I think.
Overall very nice piece though. Sax sounds great! By the way, I have no
clue about recording so take what I say with a shed load of salt!

> http://www.k2bea.org/Home/Reflections-Apples-low.ogg

Wow drums are so much better! They are still sounding a little too
filtered in some way tho - cymbals too sibilant, snare missing
resonance. Vocals could do with more top end and a lot less low end -
sounding a little muddy to my ears. Guitars sound quite synthy and could
maybe do with a touch of compression????? or mid? Mix again sounds like
it's missing the middle freqs and the bass up to around 300Hz is too
loud - too much different information going on from conflicting sources
there.

Again.. same get-out clause applies to my (probably wildly wrong)
statements!

Oh - and what are you monitoring on? I just noticed it sounds much
better on my terrible computer speakers than on my (more decent)
headphones. I guess your monitors might be a bit mid-emphasising?

2 fantastic songs tho!

James