Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 20:08:35 EEST

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Jean-Baptiste
Mestelan<mestelan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/4 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@boosthardware.com>
>>
>> Compiling an rt kernel is not brain surgery.  Having a pre compiled rt
>> kernel option is a useful addition to the suite of tools. If we had a
>> dedicated list of proven hardware setups with kernel versions, links to
>> the various precompiled rt kernels for each distro and basic build steps
>> that would also assist people who are taking the plunge.
>>
>> <snip>
>> Also can you send me the link to the debian rt kernel project please?
>>
>> And if anyone else knows of specific links to other rt kernel projects
>> repos please send them through.
>

> Sorry, am catching up rather late, but one thing about this discussion
> has left me wondering:
> does a realtime kernel have to be distribution-specific ?
>
> I mean:
> a) Could there be an attempt to patch and compile a
> distribution-agnostic realtime kernel ? (Is there one already ?)
>
> b) Or is it that every distribution expects its kernel to include some
> home-made kernel modifications, and hence requires patching their own
> specific brand from source ?

The rt-kernel project is completely distro agnostic. It's your distro
that potentially makes any kernel distro specific. I don't know what
distros might do this for the rt-kernel, if any.

The rt-kernel project always patches the kernel.org kernel and even
though I run Gentoo I do not run Gentoo's kernels as I don't know what
they've added or why. I figure if it's important they'll post it back
to kernel.org and Linus will decide. There is absolutely no problem
running this kernel on a Gentoo box and I don't know of any problems
running it on any distro box. you just don't get any special stuff the
distro package thinks is important to add.

On Gentoo we have the pro-audio overlay which makes the
distro-agnostic rt-sources available. It's equivalent to me going to
the rt-sources site and grabbing all that stuff but easier. emerge
gentoo-sources or emerge rt-sources. Either way I do exactly the same
amount of work, but with rt-sources I get the vanilla kernel with rt
patches.

Hope this helps,
Mark