Re: [LAU] [OT] DV/HDV camera recommendation ?

From: Peter Finnegan <peter.c.finnegan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 21:23:53 EEST

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 13:30 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking to buy a low-cost camcorder with FireWire out. Do any of you
> LAUyers have a recommendation ? I'd like to stay under $200US if possible.
>
> Btw, I've just finished a review of the latest LiVES. It's got JACK
> transport control now, and it is cool.
>
> Marked OT to avoid the topic patrol. :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp
I bought a Panasonic PV-GS-65 about four years ago. It is(was) one of
the least expensive 3ccd camcorders. I have been very happy with it
thus far. I think I paid around $400 for it, though. Perhaps there
might be some used ones out there for a good price.

Unfortunately, the consumer camcorders now tend to be focused on direct
compression to Mpeg2 to DVD or flash memory. This is great if you want
to upload direct to youtube, but not so great if you want to work with
some uncompressed video.

I would look for a miniDV camcorder. Those tend to have firewire out,
and work with uncompressed video. Sometimes your local big box
electronics store might have a good deal on an open box or discontinued
miniDV, as they are going toward direct to SD or flash memory
camcorders.

PF