Re: [LAU] Auto-Wah and Clav... not quite

From: Michal Seta <mis@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 23:10:34 EEST

Hi Ken,

Have you tried ecasound?
Here you will find some auto-wah presets (this is what google came up
with but I believe that file is installed by default with ecasound).
http://cvs.seul.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sound/ecasound/effect_presets?rev=1.9

I used it on this song here:
http://creazone.ca/snd/mangermanger.mp3

I guess I tweaked it to my needs but it's been so long ago...

./MiS

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Ken Restivo<ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:25:49AM -0600, Ernie Dulanowsky wrote:
>> What about using separate envelope follower and filter plugins to make your
>> own auto-wah ?
>>
>> cheers,
>> ernie
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > For several years I've lusted away over the Clavinet-through-Auto-Wah
>> > sound: the Stevie Wonder sound (also used notably by Herbie Hancock,
>> > Medeski, Martin and Wood, and others).
>> >
>> > The problem is that either the LADSPA auto-wah plugin doesn't quite cut it,
>> > or the Clav soundfont I found on Hammersound several years ago doesn't have
>> > enough dynamic range to really make the thing "wah" in any noticeable way.
>> >
>> > Am I doing something wrong here, or is the plugin not quite the best
>> > implementation, and if so, are there any better ones? Likewise with Clavinet
>> > soundfonts too.
>> >

> Hmm, thanks. Well after digging into it a bit, it seems as though a proper "wah" effect is an LPF with a resonant peak at the rolloff point:
>
> http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm
>
> Apparently very easy to do in hardware (2 transistors, couple caps, and an inductor), but I'm not sure where I'd find a LADSPA plugin with this particular frequency response characteristic.
>
> Looks like Rakarrack has a wah, and "alien wah" (from Zyn?) and an auto-wah of its own. I'll try those instead.
>
> -ken

./MiS
514-344-0726
http://www.creazone.ca