Re: [LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 09:28:55 EEST

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:36:36PM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:03:14 -0700
> Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I've successfully gotten Firefox to run on Wine with Adobe Flash (presumably so that I can actually see people's websites, and listen to their music. Sheesh.). This is on a 32-bit system.
>
> Have I missed something here? I have no problem using Adobe's Flash for
> Linux on my systems.

I downloaded the "latest" Flash from Adobe (the actual latest isn't, of course, available for Linux, but an older version is), and then tried the installation script:

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

WTF? OK, I just manually put the libflashplayer.so into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins dir then. Re-start Firefox. Flash goo-dads show up in websites now. All is bliss, all is bliss.

Except.

No audio! None at all coming out of the audio card as MySpace music is supposedly playing.

However, plenty of "Device or resource busy" errors from anything else I try to play, which means FF was definitely opening and holding open the audio driver.... now I remember why I did not want Flash in my regular browser.

So anyway. Not so good. I'm not going to invest a whole lot of time in this problem, but if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

-ken