Re: [LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 10:59:39 EEST

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM, david<gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> On Saturday 11 July 2009 02:03:16 am david wrote:
>>> Hmmm, I have no such problem with Flash on Debian Lenny. Many times, I
>>> have a Flash music video playing in FF, switch it to the background, and
>>> continue doing other stuff with the computer without any performance
>>> impact at all. Must be a problem with Ubuntu.
>>
>> Well, I've no idea what Ken uses (and his problem is pretty different than
>> mine), but I did mention I was using Jaunty specifically.  It still works
>> fine on Hardy (whose Flash is 9.0) and OK on Intrepid, both of which
>> default to earlier versions of Xorg -- as appears to be the case with Lenny
>> since Debian stable goes into feature freeze about what, 6 or 7 years
>> before each release?  So in a couple of years you may run into this
>> problem, in Rocky or Scud or whatever they name it by then.
>
> Debian Etch shifted Sid over to Lenny within the past year, so this is a
> much newer thing than that old Debian Stable ... Whatever, it's running
> Flash 10.
>
> I suppose it could be a problem with Xorg ...
>
> --
> David
> gnome@email-addr-hidden
> authenticity, honesty, community

Firefox can be configured to use an alsa plugin or esd-compatible
soundserver. Check the file /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc (or
/etc/firefox/firefoxrc as appropriate). The line to use pulseaudio is
"ICEWEASEL_DSP="padsp" (or FIREFOX_DSP="padsp"). With the alsa jack
output plugin, or the pulseaudio jack output backend, you can even
make firefox and its flash plugins go through jack.

For what it is worth, I have a dual-core 3.2 gigahertz pentium 4 with
1.4 gigs of RAM in my main machine, and flash video playback often
pegs one of my CPU's to nearly 100%. If there are more than three
flash video objects active at once on one page it often stalls
iceweasel to a complete halt, if not crashing it entirely (I presume
it is some kind of race condition or re-entrancy problem with the
Linux version of the adobe plugin). I work around this latter issue by
using the flash-block plugin, which shows a play button for each flash
object that does not load the flash plugin until you click on it.