Re: [LAU] New film: This is Art..

From: <sonofzev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 07:38:12 EEST

to use stuff if the artist/author had been dead for 50 years or more? Maybe the
museums could claim copyright on the picture frames? ;)
>Norv

Check out this site... http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/about/copyright-issues.html

It depends on the country you are in ... But it interestingly states..

"There may be two copyrights: copyright in the artistic work (for example, a
painting) and copyright in the photograph of the artistic work. You will
generally need permission from the owner of copyright in the artistic work unless
the copyright has expired. It is unlikely you need permission in relation to the
photograph, if the photograph depicts nothing but the artistic work and is
indistinguishable from other photographs of the same work. Otherwise, you will
generally need permission from the owner of copyright in the photograph."

In other words, when someone photographs a painting of Van Gogh in a museum,
producing a picture that is indistinguishable from other photographs of the same
work, this cannot be considered an original art creation: