Re: [LAU] The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 06:17:17 EEST

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> The nice value is irrelevant. Anybody attempting to use nice(2) to
> improve realtime performance doesn't understand what they are doing.
> It is very unfortunate that this has crept into so many limits.conf
> examples.

Can you expand on this a little? Are you saying there is absolutely no need
to include a nice setting in limits.conf? Is this just some wacky tradition
that has been handed on between linux audio distros and metadistros? Don't
get me wrong, you probably know better than I, but it'd sure be *nice* to
hear an informed reason to abandon this practice.