Re: [LAU] The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 20:37:06 EEST

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Paul Davis wrote:

> the right way, and discourage the wrong way. it is crazy to claim that
> they simply want to make things easily accessible to end users - the
> debian packagers, for example, have argued that using SCHED_{FIFO,RR}
> is wrong and that no app should be using memlock. so, they *do* take
> positions ... i'm just saying they need a new one, and that is that
> making lower nice values available for *this* purpose is wrong. there
> may, of course, be other reasons to permit it.

As much as Debian tries to be a general purpose OS, I've found that they
tend to be most at home thinking about multiuser servers and multiple
user Linux workstations, after the style of old Sun machines. They're
really good at that, but they're definitely not musicians.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky